Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Looking to rent a car in Chania, Crete?
You’ve come to the right place! Although I don’t live in Crete, I have visited the island twice and rented a car both times. I’m here to guide you through the process of renting a car in Chania, Crete, and help you feel confident about the experience.
By the end of this blog post, you’ll have a clear understanding of the car rental process in Crete and receive answers to the most common questions about driving on this beautiful island.
First and foremost, let’s talk about the best place to rent a car in Chania, Crete. During my visits, I’ve had a great experience with Discover Cars, which I highly recommend. In this article, you’ll learn why Discover Cars is my go-to choice for car rentals in Crete.
If you’ve come across mentions of Chania car rental scams, don’t worry – we’ll address those concerns to ensure you’re not blindsided by hidden fees. You’ll also learn about car insurance in Crete, which is essential for all car rentals on the island.
Eager to uncover the secrets of renting a car in Chania, Crete? Let’s dive in, beginning with the process of renting a car in Chania with Discover Cars, and concluding with a FAQ about car rentals in Chania.
Renting A Car in Chania With Discover Cars
One of the things that you should do when planning a trip to Crete is to rent a car beforehand. Not only it saves money, but you’ll also be sure that you will get a vehicle and you can plan your vacation itinerary around the island without worrying about transportation.
There are several reasons why I recommend booking your rental car with Discover Cars:
- This site compares rental car offers from multiple affordable companies, so you’ll be sure to get the best deal.
- The price that you see on Discover Cars includes all fees, taxes, and insurance – so you don’t have to worry about any hidden costs that might come up once you are at your destination.
- Many people have had a great experience booking with Discover Cars and have left reviews about each rental car company. This is useful if you want to ensure your experience will be hassle-free.
Booking a rental car with Discover Cars is really straightforward, and I can show the process below.
Book Your Car Online with Discover Cars
You start by choosing a pick-up location and the dates for which you’ll need the car.
One thing to note is that many car rental companies have fees for working outside of business hours. So if your arrival or departure is at night, you might want to consider using a taxi to get to the hotel and renting a car in the morning in the city.
Once you have selected your pick-up location and travel dates, you’ll get a list of available cars and a lot of options on how to filter them to best support your needs.
Pay attention to the pick-up location and in Chania you can rent a car at the airport or in the city.
When you have chosen a car for renting, you’ll see more detailed information about the booking. All of this is important, but pay attention to these things specifically:
- Pick-up location – even if you choose the airport, the rental car company might be located a bit further away and you’ll be required to use a shuttle service This is free and the pick-up instructions are usually simple.
- Business hours – if your flight is outside of business hours, there might be an additional fee for the rental car.
- Fuel policy – remember this for the time when you are returning the car. If you have less fuel in the car than is expected by the policy you might be required to pay extra.
- Rental conditions – the blue link at the bottom specifies additional conditions like the driver’s age, required documents, and the refundable security deposit.
When planning your car rental adventure in Crete, it’s important to be aware of the driver’s requirements. The minimum age to rent a car is 23 years old, but keep in mind that drivers under the age of 26 may be subject to a young driver fee. On the other end of the spectrum, the maximum rental age is 75 years, and drivers over 70 may need to pay a senior driver fee. To be eligible for car rental, your driver’s license must have been issued by authorized authorities at least one year prior to the start date of your rental.
Many companies will also ask for a refundable security deposit. The amount varies a lot from € 200.00 to € 1000.00, so you have to check with your specific company in their rental conditions. This amount will be reserved on your credit card and returned to you after the rental period ends unless the car’s bodywork is damaged and that money is used to cover the repairs.
And that’s it – an easy process on how to rent a car in Chania, Crete.
5 Tips for Renting a Car at Chania Airport
Renting a car at Chania Airport can be a breeze if you know what to expect and how to navigate the process. Here are my top 5 tips to help you get the most out of your car rental experience at Chania Airport. So, let’s dive in and make your car rental adventure a smooth ride!
- Book in advance to save money and secure your choice of vehicle It’s always a smart move to book your car rental ahead of time. Not only can you score some great deals and discounts, but you’ll also have a better chance of getting the car you want. Trust me, you don’t want to be stuck with limited options or high prices at the last minute.
- Compare prices and read reviews Before settling on a car rental company, take the time to compare prices and read customer reviews. Websites like Discover Cars make it easy to see all the available options at Chania Airport. Don’t forget to check for hidden fees and the company’s reputation for customer service.
- Opt for full insurance coverage When renting a car in Crete, it’s always better to play it safe and opt for full insurance coverage. This way, you can enjoy your vacation without worrying about unexpected costs in case of an accident or damage to the car. Remember, peace of mind is priceless!
- Take photos of the car before leaving the airport I cannot stress this enough – take photos of the car’s condition before you hit the road. Document any scratches, dents, or other issues, and make sure the rental company is aware of them. This simple step can save you from potential disputes when returning the car.
- Familiarize yourself with local driving rules and regulations Driving in a new country can be a bit intimidating, but don’t worry! Before you set off, take some time to familiarize yourself with the local driving rules and regulations in Crete. Understanding the road signs, speed limits, and parking rules will make your journey much more enjoyable and stress-free.
And there you have it – my top 5 tips for renting a car at Chania Airport. Keep these in mind, and you’ll be well on your way to a fantastic road trip exploring the beautiful island of Crete!
What are common car rental scams in Crete?
While Crete is a popular destination for tourists, and most car rental companies operate ethically, it’s essential to be aware of some common car rental scams to avoid any unpleasant surprises during your trip.
- Excessive Insurance Charges: Some rental companies may try to upsell unnecessary insurance coverage or charge exorbitant fees for basic insurance packages. To avoid this, use a reputable site like Discover Cars that has no hidden fees.
- Hidden Fees: Some rental agencies may not be transparent about additional fees, such as extra driver charges, airport surcharges, or fees for young drivers. Always read the rental agreement carefully and clarify any ambiguities before signing.
- Damage Charges: A few dishonest rental companies may try to charge customers for pre-existing damages to the car. To protect yourself, conduct a thorough inspection of the vehicle before driving away and take photos or videos of any scratches, dents, or other issues. Make sure the rental agent acknowledges these damages in writing.
- Fuel Scams: Some rental companies may have unfair fuel policies, like charging for a full tank of gas and expecting you to return the car empty. Familiarize yourself with the company’s fuel policy and choose a rental agency with a fair and transparent approach.
- Bait and Switch: Occasionally, a rental company might offer a specific car model at an attractive price, only to provide a different, less desirable vehicle upon arrival. To avoid this, confirm your booking and car model in writing, and consider choosing a reputable rental agency with a large fleet and positive customer reviews.
By being vigilant and well-informed, you can steer clear of these common car rental scams and enjoy a hassle-free road trip in Crete.
Renting A Car in Chania: Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions I get when talking about renting a car in Crete and specifically in Chania. If you have any other questions, please write them in the comments below!
Is it safe to rent a car in Chania, Crete?
Yes, it’s safe to rent a car in Chania, Crete! The island is a popular tourist destination, and car rental companies are well-equipped to cater to visitors. Just be sure to choose a reputable rental company, like the ones from Discover Cars, and follow local driving rules and regulations.
Is it safe to drive in Crete?
Absolutely, it’s safe to drive in Crete! While the island’s roads may be a bit winding and narrow in some areas, they’re generally well-maintained and easy to navigate. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with local driving rules and regulations, stay alert, and drive cautiously, especially in the more remote regions.
Is driving in Crete easy?
Driving in Crete can be easy and enjoyable, especially if you’re prepared for the island’s unique road conditions. While you may come across some winding roads, narrow streets, and occasional steep inclines, overall, navigating the island is relatively straightforward.
Is it worth renting a car in Crete?
Renting a car in Crete is definitely worth it for those looking to explore the island at their own pace. With a car at your disposal, you’ll have the freedom to visit hidden gems, stunning beaches, and picturesque villages that might be difficult to reach by public transportation. Plus, you can create a personalized itinerary, allowing you to make the most of your time in Crete. So, if you’re up for an adventure and eager to uncover the island’s beauty beyond the usual tourist spots, renting a car is a fantastic option.
Is there Uber in Chania?
Uber is not available in Chania or anywhere in Crete. However, you’ll find that local taxis are easy to come by and can be a convenient option for short trips within the city. For those looking to explore the island more extensively, renting a car remains the best choice, as it provides the flexibility and freedom to discover Crete’s stunning landscapes and charming villages at your leisure.
Do you need a car in Chania Crete?
While you don’t absolutely need a car in Chania, Crete, having one can significantly enhance your experience on the island. Chania itself is walkable, and public transportation can get you to some of the popular tourist spots. However, renting a car provides the freedom and flexibility to explore Crete’s hidden gems, beautiful beaches, and quaint villages at your own pace. With a car, you’ll have the opportunity to venture off the beaten path, discover lesser-known attractions, and create a personalized itinerary that suits your interests. So, while it’s not essential, having a car in Chania, Crete, can truly elevate your island adventure.
What’s the best place to rent a car in Crete?
The best place to rent a car in Crete largely depends on your preferences and travel plans. Many visitors choose to rent a car at the airport, either in Chania or Heraklion, for the sake of convenience upon arrival. Alternatively, you can rent a car in the city centers or at popular tourist destinations across the island. It’s important to compare prices, read customer reviews, and choose a reputable rental company, such as Discover Cars, to ensure a hassle-free experience. By doing your research and booking in advance, you’ll be able to find the perfect car rental option to suit your needs and make your Crete adventure one for the books!
What’s the best car rental in Chania Airport?
My personal recommendation is Discover Cars, which I’ve found to offer excellent customer service, competitive prices, and a diverse selection of vehicles. To make an informed decision, it’s essential to compare various rental companies, read customer reviews, and consider factors such as additional fees and insurance options.
How much does it cost to rent a car in Chania?
The cost of renting a car in Chania can vary depending on factors such as the type of vehicle, rental duration, and the time of year. Renting a car in Crete for one week in the high season (July) in 2023 starts at EUR € 263.38. Keep in mind that prices can fluctuate, and last-minute bookings or peak tourist seasons may result in higher rates. To secure the best deal, it’s recommended to compare prices, book in advance, and take advantage of any available discounts.
What is the best way to travel around Crete?
The best way to travel around Crete largely depends on your personal preferences and travel goals. Renting a car is a popular choice, as it offers the freedom and flexibility to explore the island’s stunning landscapes, beautiful beaches, and charming villages at your own pace. With a car, you can create a customized itinerary and venture off the beaten path to discover hidden gems. Alternatively, you can rely on public transportation, such as buses and ferries, to visit popular tourist spots, or even join guided tours for a more structured experience. Or you can also book guided tours to the most popular destinations and enjoy your vacation hassle-free.
What do I need to rent a car in Chania, Crete?
To rent a car in Chania, Crete, you’ll need two essential documents: a valid driving license, a passport or ID card, and a credit card. Your driving license should be recognized internationally or issued by an EU country. The credit card, in the name of the primary driver, is necessary for the security deposit when you pick up the vehicle. It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the rental company’s specific requirements, such as age restrictions or additional paperwork, before booking.
What side of the road do they drive on in Crete?
In Crete, just like the rest of Greece, they drive on the right side of the road. This might take a little getting used to if you’re from a country where you drive on the left, but don’t worry! With a bit of practice and extra caution, you’ll quickly become comfortable navigating the island’s roads.
What are the top car rental companies in Chania, Crete?
There are several top car rental companies in Chania, Crete, catering to various preferences and budgets. Some of the highly-rated options include EasyAuto, CarQ, Alma Car Hire, SIXT, Alamo, and Royal Rentals. These companies offer a wide range of vehicles and services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free rental experience. To find the best fit for your needs, it’s essential to compare prices, read customer reviews, and check for any additional fees or requirements.
Top things to visit in Crete
Now that you have a rental car, you must be wondering – what to see in Crete? There are so many things to see and do that a one-week vacation won’t be enough!
However, if you had to choose just 3 most iconic things to do in Crete, I’d suggest these:
- Going on the Samaria Gorge hike, which is considered to be the best in Crete
- Visiting Elafonissi and Balos beaches that might be some of the most beautiful beaches in the world
- Going on a road trip to Knossos, the ruins of the ancient Minoan city where the legend says the Minotaur lived
Travel tips and tricks:
- Save big on flights with Skyscanner.com – This incredible tool lets you find the most affordable airfare to your dream destination. You’ll love their “Whole Month” feature, which displays the best prices for the entire month. If you’re flexible with travel dates, this is a game-changer for scoring the cheapest tickets.
- Stay in the heart of the action – I always find the perfect accommodation on Booking.com. Their map view lets me filter hotels by my budget and select ones that are right in the center of it all. Trust me, you won’t want to miss this easy way to book your ideal stay!
- Go beyond the resort – I’m all about making the most of my trips, and GetYourGuide.com has been a lifesaver for booking unforgettable tours and day trips. It’s the most hassle-free way to dive into the local culture and explore the hidden gems in every new place.
- Hit the road with DiscoverCars.com – There’s no better way to explore your destination than by car! Renting a vehicle has never been easier, and with their competitive prices, you’ll have the freedom to create your own adventures.
I highly recommend trying these tools for yourself – not only will you save money, but you’ll also create memories that last a lifetime. Happy travels!